He was bornIn addition to his many unforgettable movie roles, Tom also produces, directs, writes and does voice-overs. He has received quite a few awards saluting his brilliant film career, not to mention numerous nominations.
Hanks made his debut in film with a splash. Actually he made it in movie entitled, “Splash”. The 1984 Ron Howard film about a man in love with a mermaid was a hit and got Tom’s name notice in Tinsel-town. After a few less-than-memorable follow-ups, he had another hit, this one entitled “Big”, in 1988.
Through the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, Tom had a string of comedic films, but didn’t land a major dramatic role until 1992’s “A League of Their Own”. His 1993 portrayal as a homosexual male in the movie “Philadelphia” won Tom his first Oscar. From that point on, he seemed destined to succeed and few films with the name Tom Hanks in the credits turn out to be total losses, either at the box office or with the public.
Tom’s work in films such as “Forrest Gump”, “Apollo 13”, “Saving Private Ryan” and more cemented his status as a top Hollywood star. Critics applauded his performances and audiences got deeper glimpses into the man’s genius. In addition to the “usual” awards (Oscars, Golden Globes, etc.), Tom Hanks has been honored with:
- 2002 American Film Institute’s AFI Lifetime Achievement Award, 2002 Hollywood Film Festival Actor of the Year
- 2004 BAFTA/LA Britannia Award for Excellence in Film
- 2009 Film Society of Lincoln Center Gala Tribute Award
- 4 Golden Globe Awards for Best Actor
- 2 Academy Awards for Best Actor
- 2 American Comedy Awards for Best Actor
Top Ten Movies by Tom Hanks
- Sleepless in Seattle
- Saving Private Ryan
- A League of Their Own
- Joe Versus The Volcano
- Forrest Gump
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
- Apollo 13